The genesis of NIEPA’s evolutionary journey dates back to February 1962 when the Asian Regional Centre for Educational Planners, Administrators and Supervisors was established by UNESCO under an agreement signed by the UN Agency and the Government of India. Subsequently, with effect from April 1, 1965, the fledgling Centre was rechristened as the Asian Institute of Educational Planning and Administration. The taking over of the Asian Institute by the Government of India at the end of a 10-year agreement between it and the UNESCO paved the way for its transformation into the National Staff College for Educational Planners and Administrators in 1970. This college was restructured and re-registered as National Institute o Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA) on May 31, 1979, with an expanded mandate.
In recognition of the important work being done by it in the area of educational policy, planning and administration, NIEPA was conferred in 2006 the status of a ‘deemed to be university’ under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 and was renamed as National University of Educational Planning and Administration with the power to award degrees. Because of the Supreme Court of India decision, NUEPA recently again become NIEPA but is still a full-fledged deemed to be University offering PhD programmes.